Food technology has become most popular career option in india and abroad for youths. In the food processing industry, Food Technology is involved in the work related to physical, chemical or microbiological techniques and processes to convert raw ingredients into food and other forms.
What is Food Technology? Food processing involves all works related to Raw Ingridants in food substitutes or for changing food to other dosageable forms. BE / B Tech is a 4 year duration course in Food Technology. Food technology involves various chemical processes, which are used to fit and use the food products in the market. Food processors are usually made to use long-lasting, attractive, and marketable food products using clean, newly harvested crops or recently used food technology on killed animals. This process is also applied on Animal Feed. After getting the BE / BTech degree, you can do M.tech in Food Technology.
Although food science, food engineering and food technology are very similar in nature, there are also some subtle differences among them. Through intensive study of these subjects, you will get information about these differences.
Need for Food Science and Technology in our life
Diet or food is essential for all types of life; humans always need food to survive. Just like a place, clothes, education and healthcare, food is a fundamental requirement for human beings.
Most food items are basically savvy or organic. Therefore all the work related to processing of food items, harvesting, distribution, storage and preparation is very difficult. Under Food Technology, extensive understanding and training is required to understand the food process and to solve various problems during the whole process.
The work of Food Saints is also to make abundant food items safe and nutritious with innovative packaging. Therefore, with the best use of food scientist’s food resources, they make their significant contribution to at least wastage of these resources.
Food systems and food technology have caused tremendous growth of the food industry around the world. Processed food items are more convenient to eat. These food items are also very tasty and healthy.
Some fine examples of food science and technology are the following:
• Frozen Food
• canned or candied food
• Snacks and fast food (chips, french-fries, pizzas, burgers, pasta etc.)
• Ready to eat miles
• Bottled and packaged milk (Long Life, Skimmed, Semi-skimmed etc)
• Baby Food
• Low Fat Butter
• Serials (including serial bars)
• Packaged juice (fruit and vegetable)
• Airated drink (cola), energy drink (Gatorade, Red Bull), beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages
Scope of food technology in india and abroad
There is too much scope for career development in food technology, which is given below:
As organic chemists, food technologists provide information and advice about methods such as Raw food items converted into processed foods.
As biochemists, these people organize ways to improve the flavor, texture, storage and quality of food items.
As home economists, they are experts in dietetics and nutrition, and according to the instructions given on the containers, they test food and their recipes.
As engineers, these people work with the planning, designing, improving and maintenance of processing systems.
As research scientists, these people do various experiments to improve the packaged food product, flavor, nutritious value and general adaptability.
As managers and accountants, they work to manage the administration and finances apart from supervising works related to professional processing.
Also read ;- Career in Aviation ; Touch Your Sky of Dreams
Core Subjects in Food Technology
The following are specialization courses in the field of Food Technology:
• Bakery and Confectionary items
• Fruits and vegetables
• Oil and oil seed processing
After passing 10 + 2 exams, 4-year B.Tech
To make B.Tech in Food Technology, the student has passed Higher Secondary Examination from a recognized board. The minimum age of the student should be 17 years. Students can get admission in this program only when they have passed any Engineering Examination like AIEEE, WBJEE, JEE, BITS etc.
List of popular entrance exams for B.Tech in Food Technology
• CFTRI: Central Food Technological Research Institute Entrepreneur Examination: The CFTRI, MSc, is organized to give admission to Food Technology Course.
• IICPT: Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology Entrepreneur Examination
• AIJEE: All Indian Joint Entrance Examination is organized for students to get admission in B.Tech course in food technology and biochemical science. Candidates must pass State Joint Entrance Test (JEE) or All Indian Joint Entrance Exam (AIJEE) to get admission in this course.
Also read ;- Top15 Ways to Make Money Online Without investment
M.tech in Food Technology
As Minimum Eligibility Criteria for M.tech in Food Technology, students earn a minimum 45-50% score from a recognized institution in Food Science / Food Science and Technology / Food Technology and Management / Food Technology / Food Process Engineering / Food Engineering BE / Engineering in Dairy Engineering / Dairy Technology / Agriculture and Food Engineering / Dairy and Food Engineering Obtained Tech degree.
Job Options for Food Technology Graduates in india
• Food technologist
• Nutrition Therapist
• Product / Process Development Scientist
• Quality Manager
• Regulatory Affairs Officer
• Scientific Laboratory Technician
• Technical Braver
Jobs where your degree will be useful:
• Production Manager
• Purchasing Manager
• Research Scientist (Life Sciences)
Popular Colleges for Food Technology
• Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI)
• National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management (NIFTEM)
• Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology (IICPT)
• National Agricultural-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI)
• Food and Drug The Toxicology Science Research Center (FDTRC)
• National Institute of Nutrition (NIN)
• Indian Institute of Toxicology (IITR)
• Indian Agriculture Research Institute (IARI)
• Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Pondicherry
• International Life Sciences Institute – India (ILSI)
• IISER – Pune
• Bhabha Atomic Research Center
• IISc Bangalore
• National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI)
• Department of Food Science and Nutrition, SNDT Women’s University
• Amrita University (Research Projects)
• Food Science and Technology Center, Sambalpur University
• School of Life Sciences, JNU
• Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, IIT Kharagpur
• Faculty of Food Security and Quality
• Central Institute of Post-Harvest Engineering and Technology (CIPHET)
• Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI)
• National Institute of High Security Animal Digges (NIHSAD)
• Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI)
• Indian Institute of Vegetable Research (IIVR)
• National Institute of Abiotic Stress Management (NIAM)
• Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE)
• CCS Haryana Agricultural University
• GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
• School of Health Sciences, Calicut University
• Department of Food Process Engineering, SRM University
Government jobs for B Tech Graduates in india
B Tech Graduates can get jobs in various government organizations and laboratories etc. in Food Technology. Many companies working under the Food Corporation of India recruit graduates in this field. Initially these graduates are recruited as trainees.
In the training period, they are paid Rs. 20,000 / – per month. The duration of this training period is usually 6 months. On completion of this training, the candidates are promoted on Higher Grade based on their merit. After the training period, their salaries also increase significantly. In addition to salaries, they get many allowances and benefits.
Graduates in Food Technology can also get jobs in those laboratories, which are used to test the quality of food products in the laboratories.
Also read ;- The Best Online Part time jobs for students and Moms
Private jobs for B Tech Graduates
Many organizations of private sector recruit B.Tech Graduates in Food Technology. Companies such as Amul, Cadbury, Britannia, Nestle provide jobs to the professionals of food technology.
Entry level professionals are given training at the beginning of the 6 months and after completion of training, they are promoted in Higher Grade. Candidates are given Rs 15,000 / month per month in the training period.
After completing the training period, the salary of the candidates is increased based on the job position. B Tech Graduates in Food Technology can also get jobs in Food Entrepreneurs’ Home Catering Services.
Recruiters for B Tech Graduates in india
• Dabur India
• ITC Limited
• Agro Tech Foods
• Parle Products Private Limited
• Cadbury India Limited
• Nestle India Private Limited
• PepsiCo India Holdings
• Britannia Industries Limited
• Hindustan Unilever Limited
Godrej Industries Limited